Autor Thema: Slow performance on PPC  (Gelesen 4853 mal)

Offline piannetta

Slow performance on PPC
« am: November 13, 2009, 02:52 »
Hi,

I love the software but on my new HTC Touch Pro 2, it takes up to 30 seconds for the application to load. Unfortunately, when trying to enter data on the go, this makes it very inconvenient.

Is there a reason it's so slow and can anything be done to speed it up please?

Thanks,
Pete

Offline Alf

• Administrator
  • Special Member
  • Mein Name ist Shumway. Gordon Shumway.
    • Diabetikertagebuch
  • Diabetestyp: ---
  • Therapie: ---
Re: Slow performance on PPC
« Antwort #1 am: November 13, 2009, 14:42 »
Hi Pete,

that is really slow. :staun:
I'm using a HTC S740 Smartphone (WM device without touchscreen, and these devices usually have slower processors inside than the larger touchscreen gadgets) and SiDiary takes 5-7 seconds for a "cold-start".

Do you have a large amount of data synced to the PPC? Beside of that even a slow SD-card should not end in such a slow starting procedure...
DM 1, ICT mit Lantus/Humalog/Insuman Rapid, Freestyle Libre, SiDiary Win & Android
Diabetes Software, Windhorst, Helden der Kindheit

Offline piannetta

« Antwort #2 am: November 13, 2009, 20:36 »
Hi Alf,

Thanks for the quick reply. I did import all my daya from the past 8 years so there may be quite a bit in there. But I'm not talking about syncing, I'm just saying when I start the app on my PPC standalone, this is how long it takes.

Is it because I have too much data?

Cheers,
Pete

Offline Joa

• Special Member
  • Diabetestyp: DM 1
  • Therapie: Insulin-Pumpe
« Antwort #3 am: November 15, 2009, 12:39 »
But I'm not talking about syncing, I'm just saying when I start the app on my PPC standalone, this is how long it takes.

Is it because I have too much data?

Hi,
I'm not Alf, but Alf seems to be busy, so I will try to answer.
If you start the app, SD is reading all Data for all the years you have in the data-folder.

Perhaps you try to store most of the data for past years in an extra folder (on pc and smp) I think, the S740 will speed up starting.

Greetings
Joa
Typ 1 seit 85;  Pumpe seit 1988; P 754/Apidra

Offline Alf

• Administrator
  • Special Member
  • Mein Name ist Shumway. Gordon Shumway.
    • Diabetikertagebuch
  • Diabetestyp: ---
  • Therapie: ---
« Antwort #4 am: November 16, 2009, 09:41 »
Alf has enjoyed his weekend with installing Windows7 on his home computer... ;D

Unfortunately I need to disagree with Joa: Of course SiDiary is not loading all of your data on the initial start (therefore it doesn't make sense to not sync all data or to put older data into another data folder)!

SiDiary is only accessing the current monthly data file, which means if you start SiDiary these days it will read the file SiDiaryData2009-11.dat from the memory/SDCard. SiDiary's database is fragmented into monthly data files exactly to minimze the processor load in case of a huge database: So having older monthly data files on your mobile gadget won't have any influence to the load performance!

The only thing which would slow down the initial load process would be if the current November file would be really large or that the IO-stream for this file is extremely slow (i.e. because of a damaged data file, SDCard problem or something like that).

You could try the following: Move all data files from the current data folder on your mobile device into another location and see if the start performance has changed. Then copy back the current monthly data file and check again the starting sequence. Then copy back all data files. (step 2 and 3 should not show recognizable differences for starting the app).

You could also try locating the data folder into the phones memory vs. a SDCard location.
DM 1, ICT mit Lantus/Humalog/Insuman Rapid, Freestyle Libre, SiDiary Win & Android
Diabetes Software, Windhorst, Helden der Kindheit

Offline piannetta

« Antwort #5 am: November 16, 2009, 10:50 »
Thanks Alf, I'll try this out