Autor Thema: importing from v5 "could not find SiDiary in this folder"  (Gelesen 7793 mal)

Offline timomer

Hi,

I have tried the data-migration wizard but get the above error. My data files are stored in My Docs.

I wish to keep these files in My Docs for backup reasons. But, under data storage locations there is no option to move the location.

thanks!
tim

Offline Alf

• Administrator
  • Special Member
  • Mein Name ist Shumway. Gordon Shumway.
    • Diabetikertagebuch
  • Diabetestyp: ---
  • Therapie: ---
Re: importing from v5 "could not find SiDiary in this folder"
« Antwort #1 am: Juli 07, 2009, 08:15 »
Hi Tim,

usually you'll need to select the folder where SiDiary is installed on your computer not the data folder. We will provide an update (probably today) which will also accept a selected data folder directly but in your version please pick up the exe folder...
DM 1, ICT mit Lantus/Humalog/Insuman Rapid, Freestyle Libre, SiDiary Win & Android
Diabetes Software, Windhorst, Helden der Kindheit

Offline timomer

« Antwort #2 am: Juli 07, 2009, 12:42 »
hey Alf,

Regrettably this is a new install of Windows so i don't have the old install of SiDiary on there (guess i could install v5 again).

Hopefully you will complete that update today and i can test it for you.

Also, about data location, is it not possible to get that changed?

thanks,
tim

Offline Joerg Moeller

• Administrator
  • Special Member
  • Ohana heißt "Familie"...
    • Diabetesinfo
  • Diabetestyp: DM 1
  • Therapie: Insulin-Pumpe
« Antwort #3 am: Juli 07, 2009, 13:53 »
Also, about data location, is it not possible to get that changed?

I'm afraid not in the way that you want, but you can have a look at menu Tools ->Data storage location
Meine Seite über Diabetes: http://www.diabetesinfo.de/
Meine Facebook-Seite: https://www.facebook.com/Diabetesinfo.de/

Offline timomer

« Antwort #4 am: Juli 07, 2009, 15:11 »
hey, yep seen that. the network location looks like it will do the trick, but its locked out. Im guessing you will have to get the doctors/clinics licence to unlock that.

whats a shame  :'(

Offline Joerg Moeller

• Administrator
  • Special Member
    • Diabetesinfo
« Antwort #5 am: Juli 09, 2009, 08:19 »
Yes, you're right, this option is available in the pro-version.

But for backup issues you could use the inbuild backup function (Menu 'Extras'). There you can choose the folder where to put the backup.

Or like I do: usually windows puts the SiDiary files in my german XP into C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Joerg\Eigene Dateien\SiDiary\
But I have moved and renamed 'Eigene Dateien' into D:\Arbeit\
Now I have my SiDiary data and config files in D:\Arbeit\SiDiary.

The reason for this: it's much easier to go to this folder and to backup it. And it's not on the same partition like windows itself, so if the windows partition crashes my working files are a liitle bit safer  :zwinker:

And here the good news for today: The Update is online and can be downloaded

In this update you an choose the program folder or the data folder to migrate your V5 data into V6 :super:

Offline timomer

« Antwort #6 am: Juli 09, 2009, 10:51 »
hi, thanks for that!

I would test out this new version for you but i installed the old v5 as i needed to get some reports, once i did that it picked up the data fine.

Yep, not a bad idea to move the install. It would be nice if SiDiary stored the users data in the My Documents folder. Users are more likely to backup this folder, also if i purchase a second licence for a different computer and My Docs is redirected I can access my data from both computers and finally it is bad to move a users data outside of their profile.

but that's just my comments  ;D keep up the good work, the new product is looking good and please consider my suggestions. Im going to look into NTFS Junctions now  ;D

Offline Alf

• Administrator
  • Special Member
  • Mein Name ist Shumway. Gordon Shumway.
    • Diabetikertagebuch
  • Diabetestyp: ---
  • Therapie: ---
« Antwort #7 am: Juli 09, 2009, 12:11 »
Hi Tim,

I'm not sure if I understood your suggestion right because SiDiary V6 is actually storing all relevant data in the users "My Documents" folder?! ;)
DM 1, ICT mit Lantus/Humalog/Insuman Rapid, Freestyle Libre, SiDiary Win & Android
Diabetes Software, Windhorst, Helden der Kindheit

Offline timomer

« Antwort #8 am: August 22, 2009, 17:15 »
Hi Alf,

So sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you!

I appear to have two issues...

1. My data file location is C:\users\tim.smeg\appdata\local\sidiary, my profile should be C:\users\tim (tim.smeg is from my old domain and is not used any more)
2. As you can also tell this is not my My Docs folder

No idea why it is pointing to an old profile (could it got that info from the data migration?), is it possible that appdata is the backup location for data storage if My Documents is not available? The reason I ask is due to the fact im using redirected folders and the My Documents folder is stored on my server where it is backed up, ect.

If the app would allow I could manually redirect the folder to my My Documents, but as I cant do that do you have any suggestions? :)

thanks,
tim

Offline Joerg Moeller

• Administrator
  • Special Member
    • Diabetesinfo
« Antwort #9 am: August 24, 2009, 11:43 »
Hi Tim,

1. My data file location is C:\users\tim.smeg\appdata\local\sidiary,

That's okay. Vista and Win7 are using this instead of 'My Docs' like XP, but for the data storage of version 6. Version 5 stores it in C:\users\<username>\Documents\SiDiary-Data\

So the only thing to do is to find out where V5 data is stored and then point the migartion wizard to this folder. To differ V5 data from V6 data you could open the month-file in an editor. If you are able to read it clearly it's V5. V6 is unreadable in an editor.

The months files are named like 'SiDiaryData2009-08.dat' (it's the file for August 2009)

Kind regards
Joerg