Autor Thema: Need help with this software  (Gelesen 9318 mal)

Offline darthbane2k

Need help with this software
« am: Oktober 05, 2004, 11:10 »
 I'll be honest, I am a type 1 diabetic who has somewhat neglected my illness in recent years, however i want to get things back on track and i want sidiary to help me, however it is totally confusing and makes no sense!

First of all, what do i put in to calcutae a reccomended dose of insulin, Please tell me what to put in the fields (pocket pc version), I actually take 32 units of novorapid for every 80g ( 8 exchanges) of carbohydrates, so what values do I put in the ratio settings field, and why are there difference fields for breakfast lunch and dinner, surely ratios remain the same right?

Also on the BG grid, in the box where you enter carbs, what do you enter the value in grams or exchanges? Eg if I was eating say 20g of carbs at breakfast do I put a 20 in the box or 2?

Also what do I put (in settings) under the weight box? My weight, but in what measure?

Also why on the BG grid can I not, for example enter a BG reading at 23.00 or 00.00 if I want to do a late night reading? Can I do this, if so then please tell me how.

Please help me set this up correctly so that I can better my health.

Jonathan

Offline Alf

• Administrator
  • Special Member
  • Mein Name ist Shumway. Gordon Shumway.
    • Diabetikertagebuch
  • Diabetestyp: ---
  • Therapie: ---
Re: Need help with this software
« Antwort #1 am: Oktober 05, 2004, 12:13 »
Hi Jonathan,

please find my answer in your personal mail inbox.

I've forgotten to ask one more detail: In which country are you living (because of the appropriate formula for bolus dose calculation and for gramms of carbs vs. carb exchanges)?

Bye, Alf.
DM 1, ICT mit Lantus/Humalog/Insuman Rapid, Freestyle Libre, SiDiary Win & Android
Diabetes Software, Windhorst, Helden der Kindheit

Offline Joerg Moeller

• Administrator
  • Special Member
  • Ohana heißt "Familie"...
    • Diabetesinfo
  • Diabetestyp: DM 1
  • Therapie: Insulin-Pumpe
« Antwort #2 am: Oktober 05, 2004, 14:14 »
First of all, what do i put in to calcutae a reccomended dose of insulin, Please tell me what to put in the fields (pocket pc version), I actually take 32 units of novorapid for every 80g ( 8 exchanges) of carbohydrates, so what values do I put in the ratio settings field,

Then you need 4 Units NovoRapid for one exchange (32 Units divided by 8 exchanges). The answer is: 4

Zitat
and why are there difference fields for breakfast lunch and dinner, surely ratios remain the same right?

Most people have different ratios for these meals. For example: my ratios are 2,0 (Breakfast), 1,5 (Lunch) and 1,7 (Dinner). If you don´t have different ratios you can fill in the same at every Meal.

But a ratio of '4' is a lot of Insulin for Lunch. It sounds like a 'Downregulation' (http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=24471)
Maybe you should try an 'Upregulation' (http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=24470).
This is possible if you use less insulin by eating less carbohydrates. To not stay hungry you could eat more vegetables without carbs.
After a few weeks (maybe 2-3) you should notice, that you don't need a ratio of 4 anymore. I suggest to discuss this with your Doc.

Zitat
Also on the BG grid, in the box where you enter carbs, what do you enter the value in grams or exchanges? Eg if I was eating say 20g of carbs at breakfast do I put a 20 in the box or 2?

I fill in the exchanges. Following your example the '2'.

Zitat
Also what do I put (in settings) under the weight box? My weight, but in what measure?

In Kilogramm. (I don't know, if you can put in other measurements in other language-versions. Alf?

Zitat
Also why on the BG grid can I not, for example enter a BG reading at 23.00 or 00.00 if I want to do a late night reading? Can I do this, if so then please tell me how.

Just tap once at the time itself, then you can put in every time you want. The ':' must not write out. SiDiary transforms an Input like '2315' automatically into '23:15'.

Zitat
Please help me set this up correctly so that I can better my health.

That's what we try to do  :zwinker:

Meine Seite über Diabetes: http://www.diabetesinfo.de/
Meine Facebook-Seite: https://www.facebook.com/Diabetesinfo.de/

Offline Alf

• Administrator
  • Special Member
    • Diabetikertagebuch
« Antwort #3 am: Oktober 05, 2004, 14:29 »

In Kilogramm. (I don't know, if you can put in other measurements in other language-versions. Alf?

You can use any unit since the unit is not tracked to be independant for other countries. ;)
But this results in the fact that you have to use the same unit for all entered weight values. No chance of changing the unit (but there's also no practical need).

Btw: We are talking about future improvements because so far you even don't have a statistical view for your weight (i.e. a line graph showing the development of your weight) - so this question is more kind of philosophic nature ;)
DM 1, ICT mit Lantus/Humalog/Insuman Rapid, Freestyle Libre, SiDiary Win & Android

Offline Alf

• Administrator
  • Special Member
    • Diabetikertagebuch
« Antwort #4 am: Oktober 05, 2004, 14:45 »

First of all, what do i put in to calcutae a reccomended dose of insulin, Please tell me what to put in the fields (pocket pc version), I actually take 32 units of novorapid for every 80g ( 8 exchanges) of carbohydrates, so what values do I put in the ratio settings field,

Then you need 4 Units NovoRapid for one exchange (32 Units divided by 8 exchanges). The answer is: 4

The answer is 4 if you have NOT selected the US bolus calculation formula!!

If you are calculating with exchanges, you have to select the first formula from the "international settings screen" and the answer for the correct ratio would be 4.

If you are calculating your bolus with gr. of carbs directly, you have to select the US bolus formula and the correct answer for the ratio would be 2.5!

The difference is that US diabetics are using the ratios with the background of "1 unit of insulin covers x gr. of carbs".
(Your example: 32 units of insulin cover 80 gr. of carbs)

When using the exchanges instead of gr. of carbs you are calculating like "1 exchange must be covered by x units of insulin".
(Your example: 8 exchanges mus be covered by 32 units of insulin)

Result is identical but the calculation was completely different with different settings...that's why I was asking for the country you're living in...  :zwinker:

And I must agree to Jörg: Your ratios look like to should be improved...

Bye, Alf.

Offline Joerg Moeller

• Administrator
  • Special Member
    • Diabetesinfo
« Antwort #5 am: Oktober 05, 2004, 16:20 »
Btw: We are talking about future improvements because so far you even don't have a statistical view for your weight (i.e. a line graph showing the development of your weight) - so this question is more kind of philosophic nature ;)

Really? You see, there is a nice feature in statistical view called "Total insulin/Bodyweight" :chili:

:zunge2:

Offline Alf

• Administrator
  • Special Member
    • Diabetikertagebuch
« Antwort #6 am: Oktober 05, 2004, 19:30 »
Well, got me... :kreisch:

...but I would be interested in this ratio for US diabetics?! Anybody outthere who knows if this ratio is used in your countries?

Offline darthbane2k

« Antwort #7 am: Oktober 05, 2004, 22:16 »
Thanks Alf for your personal and detailed reply to my query.

I am from the UK however  calculating bolus with gr. of carbs directly, (US bolus formula) seems to make more sense to me so I will stick with that option.

I am very worred that you all say my ratio is too high, I have never suffered any complications from my diabetes, I do eat a lot though.

Offline Alf

• Administrator
  • Special Member
    • Diabetikertagebuch
« Antwort #8 am: Oktober 06, 2004, 09:16 »
Hi Jonathan,

don't worry about your current ratios, since you already made the very first step: Start to be more accurate with your diabetes!  :super:

SiDiary is just a tool which can help you tracking your parameters and maybe it can increase your motivation a little bit to come back to a well adjusted condition...

Good luck!

Alf.

Offline Joerg Moeller

• Administrator
  • Special Member
    • Diabetesinfo
« Antwort #9 am: Oktober 06, 2004, 21:06 »
I am very worred that you all say my ratio is too high, I have never suffered any complications from my diabetes, I do eat a lot though.

It's okay to have a higher ratio than others, unless you are not overweight. You see, insulin is a hormon, that makes a lot of more than only lower your BG.
It also inhibits the lipolysis in you fat-cells, so that lower your weight will be mor difficulty. And as higher your insulin-level, as higher this inhibition.

And overweight is an additionally risk-factor for many diseases like cardiac infarct, apoplectic stroke and some vascular diseases.