Autor Thema: Averages  (Gelesen 3024 mal)

Offline carlitowebb

Averages
« am: Oktober 08, 2005, 10:37 »
Just a quick question regarding the average figures shown in the statistics.

How does SiDiary cope with multiple bg readings around an event such as a hypo.  During a normal day, I would take 4-6 bg readings depending on activity, I guess SiDiary would then average these out for the statistics screen.

As an example, if I had a hyper - in which the reading say started as 16mmol/l and progressively dropped back down to 5-7mmol/l and during this period I took several bg readings (16, 12, 9.5 etc) - how does SiDiary cope with this.  If these readings are averaged out with the remaining days bg details then the total average would be incorrect - no?  Would SiDiary average out these readings first given that they will be within a short time frame?  And then calculates this figure with the days average?

I just want to get this point clear and discuss it with a friend on pump therapy.

Thanks
Carl
 :burger:

Offline Joerg Moeller

• Administrator
  • Special Member
  • Ohana heißt "Familie"...
    • Diabetesinfo
  • Diabetestyp: DM 1
  • Therapie: Insulin-Pumpe
Re: Averages
« Antwort #1 am: Oktober 08, 2005, 12:39 »
In normal statistc-view SiDiary calculates the average from all values you've wrote in. If you've select 'A1c-Interpolation' it assumes (depending on the insulin you took) values, that you've not wrote in, but surely where. e.g.: your value was 16 mmol/l at 10:20, you've injected 5 Units of Insulin and at 16:30 your bg is 6,4 mmol/l. Without interpolation the average of this two values is 11,3. But in this long period there were surely values of 14, 10 or 8 mmol/l. Interpolation will add some of this not wrote-down values (Alf will tell you how many), so that your average probably will be shown as 10,9 (all added and divided through 5).

This gives more realistic averages, because your body produces red bloodcells in every second of day. And the hemoglobin of this red bloodcells interact with the actuall bg-level. The HBa1c, your longtime bg-marker, is the result of this interacting.
Meine Seite über Diabetes: http://www.diabetesinfo.de/
Meine Facebook-Seite: https://www.facebook.com/Diabetesinfo.de/

Offline Alf

• Administrator
  • Special Member
  • Mein Name ist Shumway. Gordon Shumway.
    • Diabetikertagebuch
  • Diabetestyp: ---
  • Therapie: ---
Re: Averages
« Antwort #2 am: Oktober 10, 2005, 22:18 »
Jörg has already told something about the interpolating algorithm of SiDiary. All values will be used to calculate the avarage. If you have tracked 10 levels within one hour all of these levels will be used to calculate the average but by interpolating the bg levels in a longer period with no monitored values SiDiary will do some extra calculation which would be very similar to the example that you have described:

When you have started with a high level and injected a correction bolus, SiDiary will use the information of your bolus insulin and assume that at the end of the correction bolus you were already down on the next monitored level - even if the next monitored value was i.e. 10 hours after the correction.

This special calculation will give more realistic averages than a simple av-calculation and it will also give the periods with many tracked levels a lower priority...

Cheers, Alf.
DM 1, ICT mit Lantus/Humalog/Insuman Rapid, Freestyle Libre, SiDiary Win & Android
Diabetes Software, Windhorst, Helden der Kindheit