Autor Thema: Carb/Insulin Ratio!  (Gelesen 3074 mal)

Offline carlitowebb

Carb/Insulin Ratio!
« am: Oktober 05, 2005, 15:23 »
 :hilfe:

Hi, I've recently registered SiDiary after trying the trial and have the following question - if this has been asnwered in a previous post them please point me in the right direction.  I originally set up the carbs/insulin ratio all with 8 for breakfast/lunch/dinner and the correction as 4 mmol/l.  Having read a post in this forum, I changed breakfast to 0.113 and lunch/dinner to 0.115 but kept the corrrection as 4.

When I have the carb/insulin ratio set to 0.113 or 0.115 I do not get a bolus suggestion on either the pocket pc or the windows xp versions, but when set to 8, it works.  As an example, my bg at 1:10pm today was 4.2 and my carbohydrate intake for lunch was 10.2gr, when c/i ration is set to 8 - the bolus suggestion is 0.8 units, however - when changed to 0.115 as the c/i ration - nothing happens!

This is probably me getting used to the program and changing my insulin regime from a fixed 8 units per meal (as suggested by the diabetes nurse!) to using the carbohydrates and achieving a more balanced and controlled bg.  I'm just getting used to both the program and the different regime and I realise that things will be trial and error for a while.

For info, I'm in the UK, use mmol/l units and have registered SiDiary on my laptop and ipaq PPC.

Thanks
Carl

Offline Adrian

• Special Member
  • Diabetestyp: ---
  • Therapie: ---
Re: Carb/Insulin Ratio!
« Antwort #1 am: Oktober 05, 2005, 16:23 »
Hello,

I use the German version of the programme and there we have IE/BE* ratio not a carb/IE. (BE = exchange unit ~ 12g carbs).
What value did you want to correct to (target value)?
Is 10.2g right? Or did you mean 102 (I can't even weight out .x grams)

0.8 IE would be good for me at lunchtime for 10.2g carbs - but this differs from person to person. And I actually can't understand the calculation, or, wait:

8carbs/IE -> 1*10.2/8 = 1.275; 1.275-0.8=0.475; 0.475*4 = 1.9; 4.2-1.9=2.3;

No, this can't be right: 2.3 is too low to be an appropriate target value.

Im sorry, if I have confused you - but what is your target-value (your target - range) in your Profile?

lg
Adrian
Cozmo mit Humalog 

Offline Joerg Moeller

• Administrator
  • Special Member
  • Ohana heißt "Familie"...
    • Diabetesinfo
  • Diabetestyp: DM 1
  • Therapie: Insulin-Pumpe
Re: Carb/Insulin Ratio!
« Antwort #2 am: Oktober 05, 2005, 18:16 »
When I have the carb/insulin ratio set to 0.113 or 0.115 I do not get a bolus suggestion

This is correct. A carb/insulin-ratio of 0.113 means, that you need 1 Unit Insulin for 0.113 gramm carbs. for 10.2 gramm of carbs the bolus suggestion would be  90,2 Units of Insulin, and that is definitely to much!

If you have selected the carb/insulin ratio instead of the BE * BE-ratio you must tell Sidiary, how many gramm of carbs can be covered by 1 unit of insulin.

Zitat
This is probably me getting used to the program and changing my insulin regime from a fixed 8 units per meal (as suggested by the diabetes nurse!)

A more flexibly way to manage your diabetes may be better then a fixed way, but you should ask your doctor or your diabetes nurse how to do this. Otherwise you could have a heavy hypoglycemia, if you inject to much units of insulin. It's a pretty tricky way of trial and error, to find out the correct ratio, and it would be better if you have help for it.
Meine Seite über Diabetes: http://www.diabetesinfo.de/
Meine Facebook-Seite: https://www.facebook.com/Diabetesinfo.de/